Rossetti Studios, London, SW3
Client Cadogan Estates
QS The Trevor Patrick Partnership
The full internal and external refurbishment of existing Grade II listed artists’ studios. Works included brickwork replacement and repair, internal strip out and minor layout alterations, construction of a new linked studio, substantial redecoration and mechanical and electrical adaptions throughout.
According to the substantial entry for Rossetti Studios on the British Listed Buildings site, Edward Holland built this block containing seven purpose-built artist studies. The actual year of construction remains unclear: although dated 1894, they were “apparently built in 1890,” but not occupied until six years later. In 1904 Augustus John and William Orpen had taken studios 4 and 5 where they set up Chelsea Art School, with one studio for girls and one for boys and painters, designers, and photographers have continued to use the studios to the present day.